Frequently Asked Questions
This program is offered at no cost to the participant. Funding has generously been provided in part by the Government of Canada’s Adult Learning, Literacy and Essential Skills Program. Designed to give opportunities to those who are looking for new career opportunities, this program is for those who have a strong interest in the tech sector and want to expand their technical skill-sets.
Skills for Hire Atlantic is designed for beginners and does not require any official prerequisites, however, computer literacy and a general knowledge of tech components are required to succeed. We have estimated an average of 10+ hours of instruction time per week, which includes live technical and career development sessions. You will likely need to invest more time to fully understand the materials.
Keep in mind that your prior knowledge in both class-specific content and level of computer literacy will dictate how much time you must devote outside of class hours to understand the materials. This could mean you are re-watching videos, researching or practicing different elements to better understand them, all of which could take you over the 10+ hours of official course time. Personal learning styles are also a contributing factor. This is self-guided learning with live sessions as tools to better understand the content.
- This program is entirely free of cost for approved applicants. This free program is made possible through generous funding in part by the Government of Canada’s Adult Learning, Literacy and Essential Skills Program.
- We are looking for people who have a significant interest in growing their careers in the tech sector. We are also looking for people who have time (10+ hours per week over 20 weeks) to dedicate to the course content and see it through to completion.
- Tip – Take your time answering the questions when filling out the application form – we receive many applicants and seats are limited.
- This program will provide you with the skills necessary to begin your search for an entry-level role within the tech sector in cybersecurity and data analytics. The program also offers professional development support through our career kickstarter series which will help you to identify your career goals, and help you with networking, resume writing, and building interview skills. Additionally, our program offers industry connectivity and opportunities to hear from people working in the field.
- Yes, we also host live sessions on our zoom platform including our orientation session, weekly live-demo sessions with a Skills for Hire Teaching Assistant, and career kickstarter sessions. We also have a slack channel where we post resources regularly.
In order to achieve your program certificate at the end you must complete the following:
- Weekly Technical Content
- Weekly TA Sessions
- Assignments (3)
- EnPoint Group Sessions (Workshops)
- EnPoint 1 on 1 Sessions
- Yes, all PDFs can be saved for future reference, and any links we share can be bookmarked and reviewed later on.
- Yes, all live sessions are recorded, you can find them on our Skills for Hire Atlantic Vimeo platform. We will share the links to our Vimeo page after each session.
- It is up to you. There are approximately 10+ hours a week of pre-recorded technical classes and live tutorial session, plus an additional 1-2 hours a week for career development sessions. *Please note everyone has different backgrounds, and learning styles and will learn at different paces, this is intended to be a rough estimate only and you will likely need more time to master content.
- We test students using skills assessment scores within our virtual course platform. Most students take the skills assessments at the beginning of the course and then again at the end of the course to see their improvement in knowledge.
- Teaching assistants may also incorporate projects in order to test your skills.
- You can not take more than one course at once, however, you can apply for other courses provided by Skills for Hire after you complete the course that you are currently working on.
- Yes – we have Program Participation Guidelines, which you can learn more about here! All participants must adhere to these while in the program.
- When completing your application, it is crucial to carefully review all the information provided. The long answer questions play a significant role in our decision-making process, given the high volume of applicants we receive for each cohort. Therefore, it is essential to dedicate ample time and provide comprehensive answers. We prioritize applicants who demonstrate a genuine desire for career advancement, a willingness to enter or transition into the tech sector, and the perceived ability to succeed in our program. Moreover, we value ambition and the ability to foresee the benefits of joining our program and how it aligns with your goals. It’s important to note that not all applicants will be accepted due to the large number of applications we receive. However, we carefully consider each application and assess them based on their fit with the program and their potential for success.
- No, our learning program is not affiliated with or recognized as a formal educational institution or accredited by any governing body.